Wednesday 12 September 2012

Burgos 42km-Hontanas 34km-Formista 36.7 km

Hola! Another good day of walking. Three days in a row of fairly high mileage.
Monday - I left Villafranca after 8:00 am and a glorious sleep-in I headed happily up a big hill for a 12 km forest hike to San Juan de Ortega. On the way I met Salvatore and his friend. He had helped me with a blister and now he needed food, having eaten too little in the morning. I was able to share crackers and peanut butter, they were very grateful. It felt good to return a good deed.
I had intended to walk about 25 km but couldn't find the alburgue that I had agreed to meet some friends at. I pressed on, unsure if I was in the right place heading into a large city called Burgos another 15 km at least. A stroke of Camino luck and I met a woman from a couple of days ago, we continued the adventure together. Somehow we missed the sought after riverview road and instead slogged through back alleys and abandoned buildings, wondering at times if someone had played a joke and painted yellow arrows (Camino signs). With sore feet we stopped on a grass verge, covered in dust and looking somewhat out of place in the city landscape. When we finally reached the municipal alburgue which houses 178 pilgrims we were shocked to learn that it was full. More Camino luck and I met two other pilgrims I know from a few days ago and we shared a room in a nearby hostel - shower, laundry, dinner and bed.
Tuesday - my new roommates / walking partners and I headed out of Burgos around 6:30 am. Though my walking partners are very fit and very fast, we do stop regularly for a cafe con leche and a smoke... I partake in the former, not the latter. I enjoyed soaking my feet in a famous spring at Arroya San Bol, thought to heal your blisters for the balance of the Camino. The ice cold water made my feet feel divine.  Arriving in Hontanas felt like arriving at a big party. The small town was alive with excited pilgrim's happy to be done their walk and energetic Italian cyclists that were hooting and howling for at least an hour. Henri has a gps that noted the 34 km distance. I slept well.
Wednesday - the highlight of today was 1005 m 12% grade hill. Great workout and a great view. The pack feels good now, and the walking is part of the routine. 36.7 km
Tomorrow will be a less than 20 km day, this time for sure. :-)
P.s. feet are now doing well. Cross your fingers for me that it stays that way :-) Buen Camino

3 comments:

  1. 178 and full. Wow!
    It's a popular camino. Good to know.
    :)
    What a journey!
    I need to translate the hill gradient. Draw me a picture? Haha
    Glad you had a partner for those back alleys!
    Half way finished.
    Bless your fast furious feet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wondering how things are going as there hasn't been a post for a few days??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Terri, I was wondering about that too. Hope all is well Suzanne.

      Nancy

      Delete