Friday 28 September 2012

Negreira -23 km Camino Finisterre

I'm on the road again, this time walking from Santiago to Muxia (north of Finisterre). As many of you likely know my good friend Qi will be joining me next Tuesday when we will walk from Santiago to Finisterre before we visit Portugal. Since I arrived in Santiago a week ahead of schedule I had the choice of either traveling around in a more conventional manner before Qi arrives, basically being a tourist in Spain or continuing to walk. Since I am in walking mode, and clearly not outfitted for swanky city living I decided to keep walking, pretty much my favorite thing to do anyway.
This part of Spain, known as Galicia is quite different from earlier days. I'm sitting at an outdoor cafe on a busy corner where it must be rush hour as an endless stream of traffic goes by. Other pilgrims have come from many different routes, not just the Camino Frances that I took. I have seen no familiar faces since I began earlier today. I have heard that only 1% of pilgrims actually continue on to Finisterre, though it seems busy enough as the municipal alberque that I am staying in was full about an hour after I arrived.
The weather in Galicia is known to be misty, with frequent rain, as I discovered earlier this week on my walk toward Santiago. Today is gloriously sunny, with a strong breeze that seemed to have whipped up after I arrived in Negreira. This is a good thing for a pilgrim because it pretty much ensures that your clothes will dry. This fact reminds me that the life of a pilgrim is a simple one. With the only daily concern being to walk, find a bed, shower, do laundry and eat, life has much fewer details to worry about. It makes me wonder why I spend time when at home, worrying over so many little things. I make a promise to myself to be mindful of this when I resume a non-pilgrim lifestyle.
Being a pilgrim allows one to take pleasure in the most simple things: a hot shower after a walk (you often hear people moaning in the shower, it's hard not to laugh sometimes), a cup of coffee and food to replenish your hungry body, a pillow to lay your head on, these are luxuries for a pilgrim. Oh, I forgot to mention the pleasure of finding wifi so the pilgrim can pass on the experience :-).
I haven't decided how far to go tomorrow, this part of the Camino has bigger gaps between the towns and villages and in this case a long stretch without food. I'll let you know how I make out when I find wifi again.
A big congratulations to all of the  CRR Army runners and good luck to those running PEC this weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Your favourite thing to do besides running! Walking lol
    I enjoyed reading how simple a pilgrim's life is. One all about survival and just enjoying the journey. Paying attention to our thoughts, feelings, body, an inward journey that so many of us are detached from.
    As you know the Army run went very well for me. I am also contemplating running on the 6th with the Salus group. Was thinking of you on my run yesterday around my new neighbourhood. Smiling and laughing as a trotted around!

    ReplyDelete