Friday 7 September 2012

Logrono to Najera - 30 km

Hola! Great walk today after a great night's sleep and a little sleep-in I began my walk at 7:35 am. I like to walk quickly and this seems to have given me a bit of a reputation among the pilgrims. I met a few people along the way that said, "Oh, you must be that petite woman from Canada who walks quickly." (I explain that I'm a Roadrunner but I'm not sure everyone gets it.) So far so good, I felt great today, the pack seems good, well I should say my back is holding up with the weight.
Logrono is a large city and for the first time on this trip I felt just a little uneasy last night walking around. Signs of poverty in the old city and drug use are evident, people loiter with nothing else to do. The walk out of the city, mostly through parkland was pleasant. I missed the first coffee stop and wound up trekking 21 km before stopping for a delicious cafe con leche, it was so good and I'd waited so long I ordered two before walking the next 9 km to Nejere.
I see a lot of private vegetable gardens and notice that the fruit I buy daily is mostly grown locally. As an added bonus, unlike at home, the fruit size and color is not uniform indicating that it has not been bred to be the look-a-like assembly line fruit we have in North American supermarkets. It tastes great and I suspect it has been grown naturally.
A delicous paella dinner (thanks for the recommendation Terri) at a picturesque patio on the riverside, complete with live music and the good company of a Texan, an Aussie and a couple from South Africa rounded out a fantastic day. People share stories of their day and past travels around the world. It makes me want to travel more! Buenos noches.

2 comments:

  1. I remember that patio with the paella so well! Glad you enjoyed it. If you stop in Santo Domingo there is a huge albergue which was almost brand new when I was there. I had my session with the "blister man" there-very much needed at the time- and he sorted me out for the rest of the trip! Interesting interactive display on the Camino in that town as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is a paella dinner? and a cafe con leche?
    You're going to have some fine tuned muscles and be able to out last me on the plank offs ;) Glad to hear the weight of the bag is not a bother and that you had a great night's rest.
    I think it's funny how people label us at times and give us little nicknames. Go roadrunner go!
    It is sad about Logrono. Sounds like it needs some TLC. But awesome about the naturally,locally, grown food. A treat for you on your travels. Oh, and take me with me when you travel. Oh goodness I yearn to do so! Travel that is!
    Thanks for sharing my friend.

    ReplyDelete